Common Aircon Service and Repairs Related issues
1) Why is the room temperature not cold?
(There are a number of causes but we list some of the common causes):
- Indoor fan coil unit’s Air filter is dirty.
- The air inlet/outlet of the indoor/outdoor units is blocked.
- Aircon temperature is set too high !!
- Windows and doors are not closed.
- Airflow direction is not set properly.
- Remote control is not in the cooling/heating mode but ‘fan mode.’
- Certain Parts may be faulty i.e.: (PC Board; Compressor; Fan motor…)
- Block Filters & Fan motor prevents the cooled/hot air from being blown out.
- The aircon may be ‘undersized’ for the Room
2) Why is the aircon leaking water?
- Water will start to leak from the indoor fan coil unit if the drainage piping is clogged with dirt or the drain piping does not have a proper gradient due to poor installation; rusted drain Pans or old drain piping
- It is normal for water to drip from the outdoor condenser as condensation takes place when the warm air surrounds the refrigerant piping condenses.
3) Why does the indoor air conditioner produce a foul smell?
- This is due to the smell of the room, furniture, cigarettes, perfume being absorbed into the indoor unit and is discharged together with airflow.
- Mice and Rats can also get stuck somewhere in drain pans or piping
4) Why is my aircon noisy?
- The blower evaporating coil of the air conditioner may be dirty or some of the parts may be loose due to years in operation.
5) Why is the fan coil unit still operating when the condenser is not?
- When the room temperature has reached the temperature set by the remote controller, the outdoor condenser will temporarily stop operating. The condenser will resume operation after the room temperature has risen above the set temperature.
6) What happen if I do not service my aircon / And how often should I service it?
- The life span of the air conditioner will be shortened, coolness decreases with usage and water leaking problem may occur as a result of a choke drainage system.
- The inefficient operation will then cause the electricity consumption to increase.
- Residential air-conditioner should be serviced every 2-3 months.
- Air-conditioner for Commercial/Industrial usage should be serviced once every month.
7) Can we do the general service and chemical cleaning by ourselves?
- You can DIY clean the fan coil, the cover and the air filer of the air condition. Everything else should be left to properly-trained aircon technician.
- It is not advisable to do chemical cleaning and overhauling since many parts of your air con will need to be dismantled. Also, when chemical flushing is not done properly, other problems may develop.
8) Why must your company dismantle the indoor fan coil unit for chemical service instead of inserting a water tray to wash away the chemical?
- By dismantling the fan coil unit, we can clean the air conditioner’s individual parts thoroughly with the alkaline-based chemical, without leaving behind chemical residue which may lead to the corrosion of the fan coil and may be harmful to our health when breathed in.